Sub-THz and THz Radio Propagation: Measurements and Characterization
Download Call for Papers (PDF)
Submission Deadline: 31 January 2023
Aims & Scope: Due to ramp-up of research towards sixth-generation (6G) cellular mobile systems, there is a high interest on sub-Terahertz (sub-THz) and THz channel measurements and characterization. More specifically, frequency bands from 80 GHz to 300 GHz are of particular interest for the coming years for the research of new radio systems, while the “true” THz bands beyond 300 GHz leave many open research questions as to channel characteristics and feasibility of cellular mobile at the band. Theoretical backgrounds and models for wave propagation and wave-material interaction at THz are characterized by a lack of knowledge and experimental evidence in many aspects. Many research institutes and companies have developed channel sounding systems to complement the lacking knowledge and evidence. There are several ongoing research projects across the globe aiming at the utilization of the above-mentioned frequency bands. Even though there are already many pioneering works on theoretical and measurement-based analysis, radio propagation research at sub-THz and THz is still in its infancy, let alone its applications to cellular link/system design and evaluation. For these reasons, we expect many contributions about novel results and findings on the field; especially on the wave-material/gaseous interactions, measurement data, path loss and statistical and site-specific multipath characteristics, and their use for antenna, link and system evaluation. We also welcome review articles that could describe the state of the art on, e.g., 1) channel sounding technologies, 2) measured propagation parameters at different environment/material/frequency combinations, or 3) propagation channel models, etc.
Potential topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Theoretical and experimental studies of wave-material/gas interaction at sub-THz and THz bands.
- Channel sounder and communication/radar link testbed at sub-THz and THz bands.
- Metrology of THz channel sounding systems.
- Channel measurements in indoor and outdoor scenarios at sub-THz and THz bands.
- Channel characterization at sub-THz and THz bands, focusing on near- and far-fields, multipath clusters and spatial/frequency consistency.
- Channel simulators/simulation methods at sub-THz and THz bands.
- Sub-THz and THz applications, e.g., sensing, imaging, non-destructive detection.
- Localization and positioning using sub-THz and THz radios.
- Joint-radar and communication applications in sub-THz and THz bands.
- Antennas, arrays and related RF circuit measurements and modeling methods at sub- THz and THz bands, which are aware of interaction between antennas and surrounding environments.
- Sub-THz and THz radio propagation
- 6G communication
- Channel sounder
- Channel measurements
- Channel parameter estimation
Lead Guest Editor
Aalborg University, Denmark
University of Oulu & Keysight Technologies, Finland
Aalto University, Finland
TU Ilmenau, Germany